A Poem


Under grey, heavy skies,
The birds sing their morning songs,
Undeterred, unfettered, unburdened.
Oh, may I be like the birds,
Lifting my voice in the joy of being alive.
Lifting my eyes to the clouds and
Seeing through them to the sun.
Lifting my heart beyond my cares,
My worries for the world.
May I trust Julian's words
Engraved around my wrist:
'All shall be well, All shall be well,
And all manner of thing shall be well.'
May I be like the birds raising their songs
So high, I swear the clouds shift.
If faith can move mountains, surely
Birdsong can lift banks of cloud?


6 comments:

  1. I am here to attest: YES IT CAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, this is such a beautiful poem! Did you write it? I'm so glad you shared it with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Grace, just yesterday morning :) I should really add my name, shouldn't I?...

      Delete
  3. How very lovely! And heart-lifting. Thank you or sharing such beauty. Have you read the book "When Women Were Birds" by Terry Tempest Williams? I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Carmine, read it last year - very lovely book :) Wonder if that was in the back of my subconscious when I wrote this...
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment!

      Delete